Saturday, April 18, 2009

I'm Mr. Mom

So I'm Mr. Mom. Since I'm disabled, and my wife works full-time, I take care of the household chores. The cooking (which I'm exceptional at), the dishes, the laundry, dusting and cleaning. These, besides cooking, are all things I used to really hate. Now I don't mind as much. But because of the nature of my disability, it's still hard. I have to do things in spurts. If I'm folding clothes, or doing dishes, I absolutely have to stop when I feel my back start to lock up, or I'm out of commission. One time, last fall, I was taking a handful of my son's clothes on hangers into his room. I was holding out the hangers with my left hand, and I coughed, hard. Cracked a rib. The osteoperosis has weakened my bones considerably. Big bummer of that night... our son was camping with my parents. My wife and I had the apartment to ourselves, and big plans for a romantic evening. But what are you gonna do, right? Things happen, and we have to let the unpleasant things strengthen us. The life I've lived has been full, to say the least.

I hope that will make me a good writer. I have a lot to draw upon.

No comments:

Post a Comment