Friday, May 29, 2009

3 years 8 months

So as of today I have been sober for three years, eight months. Through the month, the 29th isn't on my mind, until about the 20th. Then I start realizing another milestone is coming up. It's great. Like the anticipation a child feels before a birthday.

One of the best things now is having our little Rachel, and me actually being around. See, when out son Randy was born in 2001 I worked days, and of course bought beer as soon as I clocked off. I would spend most of the night driving around while my wife was on maternity leave. I wasn't there to help her as much as I should have been. When I was home I helped, of course, but how good can a drunk be with a baby anyway? I might as well have not been there. And I missed Randy's 2nd and 4th birthdays in jail. Now I have a good relationship with both my children--Rachel's only 16 days old, I know, but she loves me already. I am thankful. I can never say that enough!

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations! I just wanna say, my mom was a drunk, her numerous husbands were drunks. She was there, but she wasn't THERE you know? Seize the now - it is so wonderful you stopped drinking in time to appreciate those precious babies. It must be hard to write with such a little one around. I wish you luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks bettielee!! Yes, it's hard to write with the kids... the baby always wants to be held right when I'm on a roll, and the seven year-old just likes to talk my ear off. And I wouldn't give it up for the world!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats! I am really proud of you.

    My mom was also a drunk and my childhood was a living hell and she still refuses to admit that her drinking was a huge cause of that.

    I am really happy for you and your family. I have no doubt your children love you to bits. Keep on using that as your motivation. :)

    P.S. Love the name Randy, that's my oldest brother's name. And the new baby is tres adorable!

    ReplyDelete